The year 1912 was the beginning of what is now the Sweeney-Dodds Funeral Homes.
It was then that Mr. William Sweeney established a funeral home in his home on South Main Street in Amsterdam, Ohio. In the year 1925 William’s oldest son, Hugh, moves to Carrollton, Ohio to open Sweeney Funeral Home on Butler Ave. Two of Hugh’s younger brothers, Jim and Paul, stayed in Amsterdam to operate that funeral home and general store.
The Carrollton funeral home moved in 1937 into its present location at 129 N. Lisbon St. in 1965 Hugh’s youngest son, Donald, returns from college to join his father as a third generation funeral director.
In 1974 Lester Dodds, a first generation funeral director, moves to Carrollton from Toronto, Ohio to work at the Carrollton funeral home. After four years of working in the funeral home Lester becomes a partner in the Carrollton firm and the name of the business changes to Sweeney-Dodds Inc. Funeral Home.
After many successful years operating the funeral home in Amsterdam, Jim and Paul decided to retire and sell the business to Don and Lester. There by changing the name of that firm to Sweeney-Dodds Funeral Home, Inc.
In 2005 after working in the firm for 23 years Don retires from the Amsterdam funeral home. Also that year Lester’s oldest son, Andrew, a second generation funeral director, returns to assist his father and Don in the operations of both the Carrollton and Amsterdam funeral homes.
Since 1981 Sweeney-Dodds Funeral Homes have been members of the International Order of the Golden Rule. Sweeney-Dodds is also members of the Ohio Funeral Directors Association and the National Funeral Directors Association.
Today the staff of both funeral homes are proud to serve their respective communities with pride and dignity. Both funeral homes are elegantly decorated with a comfortable atmosphere. The funeral homes have large selection rooms to allow families to easily choose merchandise such as caskets and burial vaults. Both funeral homes are also handicapped accessible and have on site parking.